Wednesday 19 May 2010

How to cook a Perfect Soft Boiled Egg (in a Halogen Oven !)


The beautiful eggs pictured above have been laid by my own pretty hens. It's such a pleasure to keep chickens and they are happy to repay us with their eggs. Oliver adores them and they love him too. One particular chicken called Korma follows Oliver everywhere - including into the kitchen if he's been outside and the back door is open !

Really fresh eggs are fantastic. Nothing beats them. Eggs should always be stored and cooked at room temperature, somewhere out of bright sunlight.

We all know that boiling for 3 > 4 minutes should give the perfect soft boiled egg. However, that's not always the case and sometimes shells crack or the middle goes "over" done.

I'm pretty sure I've worked out how to do the perfect boiled egg in my halogen oven / cooker and it's worked faultlessly so far.

Set the temperature on the halogen oven to 125deg C. Put the low rack in and set the timer to 10 minutes. Allow it to heat for 2 mins whilst you go get your eggs.

Remove the top and lay however many eggs you want to cook on the rack. After 8 minutes, they're PERFECTLY done. You'll need 9 mins for a large egg

Leave in for an extra 2 minutes for hard boiled.

Do NOT add any water. This is not required.

I should state - our 1200 > 1400W halogen ovens may cook quicker than less powerful models, so you may need to adjust cooking times if you have a much lower powered unit

Other halogen oven recipes can be found here

Typically - I work this out AFTER I recently bought a new egg boiler. Oh well - that's something else now I no longer need in my kitchen !

2 comments:

  1. I always love to take pic of egg with different shades of color, and was fun to read about ur hen, brought a smile...gud way to start my morning :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chicken Korma and Chicken Tikka are cream legbars. They lay smaller blue and green eggs which are really pretty.

    Oliver eats most of those as he has an omlet most mornings after we collect the eggs.

    Hope you have a lovely day Ananda x

    ReplyDelete

I hope you have enjoyed my blog and found it useful. Please do leave any comments you may have - your feedback is much appreciated. Thanks for visiting !