Thursday 29 November 2012

Chef John's Awesome Lamb Vindaloo



I was lucky enough to find the recipe for this via Google the other day. I'd removed a couple of lamb shanks from the freezer the night before, intending to slow cook them in caramelized red onion and red wine sauce with feta.

Right at the last moment, I realised there was no red wine and went rooting for a recipe to rescue my poor lamb shanks. Chef John's recipe did just that. His original recipe is available on his amazing blog at Food Wishes. I tweaked it a little to make it compatible with the contents of my fridge and kitchen cupboard as below. I've put it on my blog for my reference as I know I'll make this again and again...

To Serve Two

Marinade

1/4 cup of cider vinegar
2 tablespoons of sunflower oil
2 tsp Tamarind paste
1 tablespoon garam masala 
1 teaspoon of salt.

Mix ingredients well and put in a bag with the lamb shanks to marinade overnight.

For the sauce base, liquidise the following

1 chopped onion
300g tomatoes
1/2 a cup of water
6 cloves of garlic

Spices

1.1/2 tablespoons of ground ginger
1 tsp of cinnamon
2 tsp whole mustard seed
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp ground cumin
1.1/2 tsp cayenne
1 tablespoon of paprika

Shove the lamb shanks in a very hot oven for approx 20 mins to colour.

Brown a chopped onion until very brown (verging towards burnt !) in a couple of tablespoons of clarified butter. Add the spices and toast for a minute or two until mustard seeds are popping. Add the wet mixture and stir well. 

Add the lamb shanks to the pot and simmer on a low heat for about 2.1/2 hours until the meat is tender and falling off the bone.

I served this with mixed wild rice with some raw chopped yellow pepper mixed through


2 comments:

  1. WOW SArah ...ive been looking for a good recipe for this dish...i had the very first taste of a vindaloo in London decades ago! Of all places ..hehe...n ive been trying out a couple of recipes over the years but they were just not good....this looks good and your recommendation is going to make my day soon. ..after teh wedding..how are you and fam? Hope alls well....im pretty busy now...hope to catch up and start some blogging again soon..take care and hugsssssssssss xx Zurin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Zurin - How are you ? We've not spoken in SO long ! I miss your blog :-(

    When does your son get married ? Can't be long now ...... Don't forget we want photos !

    Do check out Chef John's blog - lots of lovely things I want to try (including his Swedish Meatballs). Hope he doesn't mind me blogging his recipe .... I did message him

    Hope you are well. Sending love xx

    ReplyDelete

I hope you have enjoyed my blog and found it useful. Please do leave any comments you may have - your feedback is much appreciated. Thanks for visiting !