Monday 18 February 2013

Angry Bird and Bad Piggie Cookies - For An Angry Bird Fan !


When only an Angry Bird cookie will do, Mummy has to get baking !

Oliver is currently a HUGE fan of Angry Birds and has all but taken over my Ipad. So much so, that we've had to enforce restrictions on how long he gets to play. The easiest thing is to only ever partially charge the thing and play dumb when the battery goes flat !

So, this challenge was to create Angry bird cookies. In the end, I made a load of red birds, black birds and bad piggies.

First of all, I found a picture of a red bird and blew it up on the photo copier, then drew round it with a black marker. This gave me a template to carefully cut out the cookies with a craft knife.

Note - take extreme care cutting on top of a silicone work / rolling mat. High chance of cutting through it ! However, if you are careful and used to doing it (as I do), you should do just fine.


The Everlasting Cinnamon Sugar Cookie Recipe.....

Wondering why I call it this ? 

Well - I roll these cookies thin. Once they have been baked long enough, they come out really rather hard.
I like a crunchy biscuit that would stand up to dunking in tea. Wrap them individually and make them air tight, and these cookies will still be good to eat in 6 months !

Actually, my aunt had some on her Christmas tree in December that I baked back in 2010. I'm very surprised some mice didnt find them stored in her loft and come for a nibble..... Although they looked ok - I don't think they'd still be good for eating.

4 cups plain flour (250ml measure)
225g butter (salted)
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 egg
vanilla essence - 2 tsp
ground cinnamon - 3 tsp
water - enough only to combine the dough

Beat sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add and beat in the egg and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder and spice with the beaten mixture. You will  need to add a tiny bit of water to make it combine into a pliable dough.

Roll out to about 4mm thick and then cut out your cookies.


After cutting out, put your cookies in the FREEZER for 15 minutes or more. Actually - you can leave them in there for a month if required before baking. If putting in a stack in the freezer, make sure you put some cellophane between them to make separating them easy later.

The purpose of freezing them is to make sure they hold their shape and do not spread during baking.

Heat oven to approx 170deg C fan, and bake for approx 18 mins until edges are starting to gain a little colour. Remove from oven when done and allow to cool on a rack.

I then flood iced these cookies to look like Angry Birds


For my royal icing, I make up one sachet of dried egg whites with the recommended amount of water as per packed instructions. Add powdered sugar and mix until a very firm and stiff consistency. Then, add a tiny bit of hot, boiled water or some JIF lemon juice to thin to required consistency.


How about some brush embroidered cookies. They look so sweet !


Sarah-Jane Nash - www.siliconemoulds.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you have enjoyed my blog and found it useful. Please do leave any comments you may have - your feedback is much appreciated. Thanks for visiting !